pondělí 9. prosince 2013

Review of the book

This book was written by Charles Dickens sometime in the 19th century. I'm too lazy to look on Wikipedia, so if you really need to know when then you do it. Why did I start this blog? Because I had to. Nuff said.

Anyway, it was written in the Victorian times and it tells the story of a man called Scrooge, who is visited by four ghosts and due to these visits has changes of heart. My friend Matej visited the author's house. Yay. Apparently it was a naval base or something like that. So... Scrooge is a grumpy old man, who hates people and is very selfish, putting money before anything. At Christmas, however, he is visited by his long dead partner's ghost, who says that he will get haunted by 3 spirits. Wouldn't like to be him at that moment. The first one is of the past, and haunts him with memories, memories that he regrets and wants to change. The second is of the present, and shows him people having happy times, and Scrooge wishes to join them. And the final one is of the future, who warns him that in his future, he dies a sad man and people raid his house. This drives him to the edge, and he miraculously changes, joining a Christmas party just in time and bringing in the best turkey and they lived happily ever after...At least in this world, his house didn't get looted.

The review...I think the movie was good. And the Disney version too. But this should be about the book. Dickens uses lots of similes and adjectives to describe characters, and has this habit of using long strings of them. He also puts verbs as adjectives because it ''makes it come alive''. Why is this so important? Probably to give us something to do during English class instead of watching movies.

I liked the book because it was suspenseful and had a moral, as well as being rather creative for the time. Also, as a ghost story, it isn't very scary, but the ghosts have an important part in the story. One thing I don't really like is that it was predictable all the way through and I knew more or less what was going to happen even before I got halfway through.

I don't know if I'll be posting in here any more. Feel free to comment or whatever.

Peace out.

By the way, visit my friend's blog and troll him in the comments. Haha. :D


This is Scrooge, the main character of a Christmas Carol. He usually doesn't look so retarded.

Don't ask me why I added this. It was the only Christmas Carol meme I could find.

3 komentáře: